Mental health model
The mental health model sees behaviour as the result of an internal thought process combined with certain automatic functions beyond our control.
The mental health model therefore sees addiction as being based in the psychological processes that make up our personality. There are many different schools of thought within the discipline of psychology and so there is a lot of variation in treatment methods.
Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) is a technique developed within the mental health model of addiction. In an addictions treatment context it is used to help clients identify the cognitive processes that lead to relapse and find ways to modify these thoughts in order to avoid dangerous situations.
Elements of a drug rehab program based on the mental health model will focus on working through a patients psychological makeup and resolving issues. Examples may include: unblocking emotions tied up to childhood trauma, understanding resentments and finding ways to confront people appropriately, or even just giving the person a chance to cry (which can be cathartic).
- Mental Health Net is an information portal offering a great deal of coverage on this topic.
- Mental Status Exam provides a list of questions and demonstration video clips to use as a reference.
- Online Dictionary of Mental Health is a useful resource that has a large list of mental health books and discussion groups.
- American Psychological Association is a professional body in America. This is an inforrmation portal.
- American Psychiatric Association Practice Guidelines for Treatment of Substance Use Disorders provides evidence based treatment methods for use in addiction treatment programs.
- Assessment and Treatment of Patients with Coexisting Mental Illness and Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse provides a comprehensive protocol for treating dual disordered patients.
- PsychLinx is a news portal for psychiatry and related disciplines.
- Substance Abuse and Learning Disabilities is a APA report that examines the link between addiction and learning disabilities.
- Internet Mental Health provides a comprehensive mental health resource.
- PsychCentral is produced by Dr John Grohol and has a comprehensive index of mental health and psychology resources including an online version of the DSM.
- National Center for PTSD has a great deal of information about post-traumatic stress disorder and its effects on families.
- Dual Diagnosis and Addiction Treatment is a mental health resource site dealing with cases where addiction presents along with another mental disorder.
Alcohol Rehab Services - Feedback & Reviews
What do our customers think of this service?
4.8 stars - based on 61 reviews